Unlike winter’s cloaking costumes, bathing suits reveal bodies for what they are: natural, complex, ours. This kind of exposure can be intimidating as we bare what is otherwise mostly hidden behind bedroom walls. Prancing around in next to nothing, we open ourselves up to scrutiny — that of others, maybe — but mostly, of our own. We tend to be our own harshest critic, agonizing over the differences between our body and say, a supermodel’s.
Women come in all shapes and sizes, though the media often tends toward a narrow-minded viewpoint on what is beautiful and aspirational. We are constantly being promised “ultimate diet secrets” and ways to “get the perfect body” by magazines and TV shows, yet through that we are also being programmed to feel ashamed of our imperfections; leading to a disappointing self-image and insecurity. Yet, rather than focusing on the so called flaws in our figure, the true path to contentment is found by embracing our bodies in full, the way one embraces a friend or a loved one.
As we bask in longer days and balmy temperatures, so too should a healthy body should be celebrated. Having a swimsuit that suits your figure will help give you the confidence to enjoy the warmer months in style. And nothing is more beautiful than confidence.
So drop your doubts along with your towel, and dive in with one of these bathing beauties!
SMALLER ON TOP
Balance a smaller top with a larger bottom by wearing ruffles, prints and light colors on top. Solid bottoms draw less attention, and a high waist with structure can flatter curves.
- Halter One-Piece with Ruffle
- Boho Print Swing Top
- Printed Bandeau with Solid Bottom
- Tie Dye Bralette with Ruffle
- Black Triangle Top with High Waist Bottoms
- Striped One Piece with Solid Bottom
SMALLER ON BOTTOM
Embellishments on hips add volume and help to balance a fuller bust. Prints and ruffles also draw the eye, while halter necks are perfect for broad shoulders.
- Printed Halter One Piece
- Black Top, Printed Bottom One Piece
- Printed Bikini with Wide Bottom
- Bandeau with Embelished Hip Bottom
- Cobalt Halter Top with Side Tie Bottom
- Solid Bandeau with Ruffle Print Bottom
Create shape using angled stripes, peplums and plunging v-necks. A slightly padded top with a print is ideal for adding curves, or embrace a slim frame with a delicate string bikini.
- Tankini with Peplum
- Black Ruffle Strapless One Piece
- Striped Sporty Bikini
- Printed String Bikini
- Ruffled Crop Top
- Flamingo Printed Balconette with String Bottom
Support a full bust with a balconette, or structured top. A sporty tankini smooths out extreme curves, while criss-crossed styles celebrate shape. Accentuate a narrow waist with side paneling and ruching.
- Ruched Balconette Halter
- Black & White Paneled One Piece
- Orange Pom Pom String Bikini w/Padding
- White Criss-Cross Bikini
- Sporty Tankini with Neon
- Black & White V Neck One Piece
Vertical stripes or paneling streamline the figure, and thick straps provide support. Create smooth lines and avoid uncomfortable pinching with a halter neck and low back on top, and a boy short or soft-waisted bottom.
- Black Halter with Boy Leg
- Vertical Stripe Halter
- Black & White Mixed Print Bikini
- Plunging Pink Twist Front One Piece
- White Mesh Panel Strapless
- Underwire Halter Top & Fold Over Bottom
Do you cringe over or crave swimsuit season? How can you better embrace your body shape this year?
Image via Shop Sweet Things